The Spymaster's Lady

The Spymaster's Lady - Joanna Bourne Good historical romances always feel like guilty pleasures for me - overindulgent but ultimately satisfying. The Spymaster's Lady is no exception, and you don't have to look any further than the cover for a hint at what I mean:) But in a refreshing twist, though the plot is filled with melodrama, the characters themselves are rather understated for romance.

The book places the classic spy vs. spy love trope in the time of Napoleonic France. Annique and Grey find each other in a French prison and form a fragile bond just long enough to escape together. But the bond doesn't last long: Grey lures this famous French spy into English hands, and he plans to take her back with him. But, of course, a relationship ensues, testing the loyalties of both Annique and Grey. Can a spy truly trust the motivations of another spy, no matter how close the relationship feels? Bourne explores this question well. The narrative drags as we follow the intricacies of both the English and French Secret Services, but (plug your ears, Ms. Bourne) I think the story still works if you skim some of these parts:)